It is expected that your son/daughter attend the Academy every day.
In the event of absence, the attendance office must be rung on each day of the absence by 8am.
Attendance phone number:
01493 720542 – Ext 201
Parents/carers must leave the following information:
• Name of pupil
• Year group
• Reason for absence
• Date of return
• Name of person leaving the message
If your child does not attend school we will:
• Send a truancy call every day that we are not contacted by parent/carers.
• Expect absent pupils to catch up on missed work on their return.
• Our Attendance Office may visit your home address should we have any concerns.
Our aims and expectations.
Research has shown that children often do not catch up on work missed, which can have serious consequences for their learning and progress. Our aim is to ensure that all our pupils receive the most from their education.
We expect our pupils to maintain attendance at 96% or over throughout the year.
• 90% =20 school days missed over the year.
• 85% =30 school days missed over the year.
• 80% over 5 years = One whole school year missed.
We will acknowledge and reward good attendance.
Holidays during term time
Holidays can cause the following problems:
• Your child’s education will suffer
• Lessons and extra-curricular activities are missed
• Continuity of project work/coursework is lost
• Friendship groups can breakdown
• Tests and exams could be missed
You will breach your legal obligation of ensuring that your child has a ‘full and efficient education’ (section 576, education/act 1966).
What are the legal conditions?
The Local Authority has introduced a system where any pupil who has an attendance of 85% or less with at least 15% unauthorised absences over a 6-week period or 10 consecutive sessions unauthorised absence will meet the criteria for legal intervention which could be in the form of a Fixed Penalty Notice.
If a Fixed Penalty Notice is issued it is a fine of £60 per parent per child, and must be paid in one payment within 21 days. If that goes unpaid, then a further invoice for £60 per parent per child will be issued and both fines, totalling £120 per parent per child will have to be paid in full within 28 days.
Failure to pay the total amount within the timescale will result in legal action being taken.